Hello and welcome to my web portfolio!
My name is Tom James, I am an English web developer base in Sweden who specialises in Drupal development and frontend (CSS/HTML) development.
I work as a freelance contractor for companies all over the World and I'm also a co-founder of Themelize.me.
I have an HNC (2 years of a degree) in Multimedia, which gave me my passion for the web and web development.
I have been involved with Drupal for nearly 10 years and involved in web development in general for over 14 years. I started out making basic HTML and CSS websites for friends before moving into the world of PHP and mySQL and eventually specialising in Drupal.
I am proficient in all aspects of Drupal including front and backend development, site building (views, panels & the like) site installation/maintenance/updating, troubleshooting, custom module and theme development, installation profiles, Drupal coding standards and training as well CVS, SVN and git.
I've been involved in a number of Drupal modules as well:
I am a good communicator and am very experienced with working with clients in different timezones and locations.
I am organised, adaptable, work well under pressure, learn quickly, keep to deadlines and am equally at ease working alone or as part of a team.
In recent years I've turned my focus more to Frontend technologies and Drupal theming. In January 2013 myself & good friend, Alex Wendpap founded Themelize.me in order to pursue our passion for frontend development and design. So far we've released 5 themes, had over 3500 customers and have undertaken a number of service clients.
When I'm not working I love spending time with my young family and travelling. I have lived in Spain, Sweden & Canada in the last 10 years. I also enjoy sports especially football (soccer) and rugby as well as running which I try to do 3-4 times a week
- Expert Drupal theme & module development skills
- Expert Drupal API knowledge
- Expert Drupal knowledge in general
- Expert level CSS3/HTML5 coding skills
- Advanced knowlegde of Bootstrap 3 & 4
- Advanced knowlegde of LESS & Sass
- Advanced PHP & MySQL knowledge
- Advanced Photoshop & Fireworks skills
- Advanced psd to HTML/Drupal theme skills
- Advanced knowledge of creating social networking sites with Drupal
- Advanced knowledge of W3C Standards Compliance
- Intermediate Ghost knowledge
- Intermediate SEO knowledge
- Intermediate knowledge of GIT, Subversion & CVS
- Intermediate to advanced server knowledge
- Knowledge of AngularJS
- Knowledge of Social Media
- Knowledge of Open Source applications
- Knowledge of Wordpress & Joomla
- Basic knowledge of Flash & AfterEffects
- Winner of 2 Envato theme awards for a Ghost theme developed for Themelize.me.
- Co-founder of Themelize.me
- Founder of DrupalSN.com aDrupal Social Network with over 8000 members to date which was featured on the drupal.org frontpage in September 2008.
- Presenter at 2009 Victoria DrupalCamp
- Lead developer on Northland Pioneer College website which won silver Paragon Awards from the National Council for Marketing and Public Relations (NCMPR) at the organization's annual conference in Albuquerque, N.M., March 14 – 16, 2010. - http://www.npc.edu/about-npc/who-we-are/web-site-award
- Extreme Customer Contributor award - Jan 2011 awarded by ImageX Media
- Presenter at 2010 Pacific North West Drupal Summit
- Maintainer of modules on Drupal.org including the Profile Setup API module, Context Rules, Flag Friend Rules and User Notifications.
"We've had a fantastic working relationship with this person. We communicate our needs in as accurate and developer-specific language as we can and he translates them into what Drupal or Acquia can do for us. He's been an amazing partner as a go-to developer.
Jeanna Balreira, Trinity University.
"It was a great pleasure working with Tom on multiple projects at ImageX. He is one of the senior developers who always had a keen eye on how to make things more efficient and user friendly. Tom always carried with him a very positive "can-do" attitude and no doubt "did-do". He has excellent communication skills where he is able to bridge the gap between technical jargons and be able to break it down to someone in a more comprehensive manner. I highly recommend Tom to anyone who is looking for a highly qualified Drupal developer."
Sangeeta Ben, Agile Project Manager at Mobify.
"Tom is a reliable, dedicated and well-rounded developer who has a unique skill set as a Drupal developer who is able to tackle some of the most challenging problems both frontend and backend of Drupal site-building. It was a pleasure working with Tom and I hope that our paths cross again in the future as colleagues."
Aaron McGowan, Drupal Lead.
"We needed a simple web site set up quickly. Tom did a great job. He was able to create clarity from some pretty vague ideas and responded quickly to deliver exactly what we needed. The Wheel website has generated unsolicited, positive feedback from visitors and I have no hesitation in recommending Tom's work to my professional network."
Chris Thomas, Founder, The Wheel Consultancy.
"I've had the pleasure of working with and supervising Tom on many projects over the years. There is no doubt, he's a hard worker and a great team member. He's not afraid to take initiative and is constantly looking for new challenges. His skills in Drupal development are extensive. I would highly recommend him and look forward to working with him on future project."
Chris Geoghegan, General Manager / VP of Operations, ImageX Media
"For a number of years Tom has been a go-to developer for ambitious projects with tight deadlines. Tom's dedication to his work and efficiency make him an invaluable member of our team. One of Tom's greatest assets as a developer is his understanding of design and overall user experience concerns. These cross functional skills are difficult to find. Even more difficult to find is a developer with all of these skills and a deep knowledge about what makes a successful Drupal implementation. I highly recommend Tom and would not hesitate to work with him again given the opportunity."
Rick Vugteveen, VP of Technology, ImageX Media
"I have worked with Tom on a number of projects. I have found him to be a hard-working web developer who gets the job done. Always a pleasure to work with, his no-nonsense style, extensive Drupal knowledge and integrity allow him to deliver quality work on time and on budget. I highly endorse Tom and look forward to working with him on future projects."
Vanessa Turke, Solution Architect, ImageX Media
"Tom is a very skillful drupal developer who can embrace tight deadlines and deliver everything on time with perfection. Aside coworker he is a good friend who knows to enjoy the life away from the keyboard. Definitively one of the quickest drupal developer I ever worked with. Precise, focused and organized."
Alex Jonatan Ventpap, Interactive Designer, All-x.ca
"Tom's done full time freelance Drupal development for ImageX Media for the last couple of years in the UK. He's been doing such a fantastic job for us that we invited him to come over and work with us in-house. We've really been impressed with Tom's work ethic, great ideas and the quality of development he does. He's is a solid, loyal team member who is well respected by his teammates and our clients. He continues to impress with his innovative & entrepreneurial mind both in the projects here at ImageX and with his endeavors on his personal startup DrupalSN."
Glenn Hilton, President/Creative Director, ImageX Media
Thanks for dropping by my portfolio, hope you enjoy your look around!